Sunday, January 11, 2015

If these tables could talk...

When my parents got a new table the graciously gave their old kitchen table the one I grew up with to us. In our most recent move we graciously received a newer kitchen table from my brother and sister in-law. I love my tables I love their character and the stories they tell.

The one from my in-laws still has stickers from several different moves in the military. If this table could talk I am sure it would tell wonderful stories of different states, and even countries.

The one from my parents has countless scratch marks, chips in painting, weird drawings my weird brother etched into the table (thanks Bud). As I sat down to do my homework today and my hand hit the table it made me stop and think about how many times I have sat down to this table and done my homework. For over 10 years I have sat down to this exact table and worked on homework. For over 10 years this table has been a part of my life. And if it could talk what memories would it share? Would it laugh and groan at the time the family was playing spoons and the intense game caused the table to collapse on itself as several people jumped to grab a spoon. Would it fondly speak of all the dinner time meals  it shared with family, and friends? Would it feel sad about all the missed family meal times?

I know this post seems silly, but I truly love these two tables because of the stories that have been imprinted on them, and the stories that will continue to be imprinted on them.

No comments: