Thursday, November 4, 2010

Poets Corner

Descent
By Alexandria J. Eliason

Her Part
Put down my bag, hang up my coat
The silence is eerie as I begin the descent
Towards the room where you and I lie
I should by now be ale to hear your breathing
You should by now be sleeping
Walk past the photographs
They mock me with their happiness
Make a stop at the first door on the right
Strip down to my skin, turn on the water to hot
Postponing the event
Wash my skin, brush my teeth, towel in hair
Robe around, feet bare
I continue towards the door
Hand on knob, heart in throat, breath is gone, tears in eyes, fear in mind
The handle turns, the door opens
The room is silent, I call your name
But no response, tears down face, hate this place
Clothes in drawer, bed is cold, empty
Open top drawer, pull out ring slip on finger, still not comfortable
Out of bed in the closet, grab a shirt pair of pants
Lay them beside me
Fall asleep to the lullaby of my cries
Fall asleep wrapped in your old clothes
There all I have left now that you've gone

His Part
Hang up my coat, slip off my shoes
I can hear the hum of the fan from the room where you and I lie
Stop at first door on the right
Strip down, warm water down my back
Mop up the mess, begin the decent
Switch off the light, walk out the door
By now I should hear you breathing
But instead a sort of faint screaming
Started as a walk, turned into a run
Hand on knob, heart in throat
Throw door open
Screams have turned to moans
As I eye my angel
Curled up in a ball
Tossing and turning she calls out my name
Caught in a dream I shake her awake
"Love" I say. Hush her cries, tell her it will be okay
"A nightmare" she whimpers.
Crawl on the left side, the right is hers
Hold her the way I've only held her
Kiss her forehead, warm her body
The trembling subsides soon hushed breathing
I lay awake holding my life
Grasping knowing in an instant she could be gone
I say a silent prayer, and my heart breaks as she turns to her side
Breathes in deeply and drifts away to a deep sleep
My wife I sigh, My wife and her nightmares.

No comments: