Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mom Moments

I know I am a little late on this post but I wanted to ponder more before I wrote this. There are defining moments in my life when people who were not my mother, reached out and mothered me. These moments are imprinted in my soul, and they shaped me into the woman/mother I am today. But before I talk about these other mom moments, I want to talk about my mom.

My mother aka Suzie, where do I begin? My mother is truly amazing. Not only has my mom put on armor and fought battles for me no mom should have to fight, she endured my teenage years. As a mother all she wanted to do was protect me but I was/am stubborn. She warned me the burner was hot and I would stick my tongue out and place my hand right on the flaming burner. I got burned and I would always come crying back to her. She would hold me and love me, she didn’t say I told you so, she just loved me. I can only imagine how that must have hurt her to watch me do things she warned would only hurt me in the end. There are so many wonderful qualities I inherited from my mother. Her compassion, her humor, her ADHD, her stubbornness, her flare for the dramatics, okay maybe some aren’t wonderful but hey I am not complaining. The person I am today is because two people fell in love and made me.. well they made me, me. I have countless memories of awesome mom moments with my mom. She is my most favorite/worst person to gossip with. Favorite because she has some juicy gossip and always is entertaining, worst because she is terrible about keeping gossip to herself lol. My mom needs sensory breaks because our family is well a little overwhelming. Those breaks almost always get interrupted by a phone call, a knock at her door, or an adult child throwing themselves over her bed sighing “Woe is me”. I don’t think she realizes how much we love her; we love her so much that we need to constantly surround ourselves with her! I could go on forever about how much I love my mom, and how she means the world to me and trust me you wouldn’t get bored most of our stories end with someone peeing there pants (I won’t say who only that out of all the girls in our family I never pee my pants…anymore), or our version of ridiculousness. My mom rocks and I am so grateful that my children have her as their Grammie!

Lesson #1 Always love unconditionally!

The first person I want to talk about is Christi Evans Boyter. I took it really hard when I heard that one of my favorite young women’s leaders was going to be moving to Idaho. I was devastated I felt such a deep connection to Christi and I didn’t want to lose that I felt that she got me; she really understood the trials I was facing at the time. I can remember standing outside the River Road building on her last Sunday I can remember feeling a deep sadness as I went to hug my leader. I don’t remember the exact words she spoke to me but I remember the deep sadness leaving and such an overwhelming wave of love wash over me as she took me in her arms and hugged me. Right there I learned a valuable lesson you didn’t have to be someone’s daughter to be loved like you were their daughter. She loved me unconditionally and it is a moment I will never forget.

Lesson #2 You can love others as if they are your own and it is okay.

Meryni Hall has been in my life for almost 19 years. And in those 19 years she has always treated me like her own daughter. She has felt the heartbreak of breakups, she has felt the budding of new love, and she was there with me when I was sealed for time and all eternity to my best friend.  She raised 3 beautiful children, who will always be my second family. She has triumphed through trials, she has protected me from harsh words, she truly is wonderful and a mother I would be glad to call my own.
Lesson #3 It is always safe to have two mama bears to protect you from the cruelness of the world.

Stephanie Jensen she was always so very kind to me. I will never forget a time we were all sick and she let me come over and be sick with all her kids. She made sure we never ran out of ginger ale and we all had warm blankets. Another time I had a dress that needed mending in the upper chest department I had no idea how to sew and my mom was at school, so I ran over to Stephanie and she grabbed a needle and thread and stitched me right up!

Lesson #4 Help others when given the opportunity…also it is always handy to know how to sew!

Jody Smith aka mother to the most awesome people in the world. I don’t even know where to start. You were my mother away from home during my short move to Utah. Since I can remember you have always opened your home and heart to any that come your way. I love you so much! You do so much, and you are loved by so many. You deserve all the love in the world. Your strength and courage is so admirable. I never ever want to be on your bad side ;D This woman takes care of her own and is the best mama bear around! I know if I were to ask each of her children they could probably write a Harry Potter Series each of how wonderful their mom is. You are the best!!

Lesson #5 By loving all you leave an amazing legacy.

My last person I want to talk about is my sister Sam. Sam had mom moments with me long before she was a mom herself. She has always been a wonderful example of love, laughter, and strength. She has endured pain, and overcome that pain with a Queen’s grace. She has faced the chaos of the world and shouted “Bring it on”. I love her so very much and I am so grateful I am able to spend pretty much every day with her. I get to learn from her, laugh at her, and be around her! My life is truly amazing.

Lesson #6 You can start being a mom long before you have children! There are lots of people out there like me who needed these extra mom moments to help them along the way.


I found that every moment I went to write about one of these women I was left speech less. I didn’t know where to begin on how much they mean to me. These are just a handful of women who have shown me love and compassion in moments in my life. I am so glad I have wonderful examples like them to look up to. I wouldn’t trade out any of these moments. I hope that there are people out there who think this way of me. I pray I live by these 5 lessons, and I pray that I have more mom moments in my life so I am reminded how deeply I am loved by others. That I am worth the time these women spent on me. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You just gave me the very best Mothers day gift any child could give a mom..You have always been so dear to my heart and you always will be Alex..I love you so much and My you be Blessed with Love and Light Always...xoxoxoxo..